On Sunday nights First Baptist Stanleyville has been going through a study on 2 Peter. A few weeks ago we were discussing 2 Peter 2:4-8 and Pastor Eddie commented that we must change the direction of our world and the next generation and if we do not judgment is coming. The conversation that night than turned to what we can do practically to prevent the coming judgement and disciple the next generation. Below you will find my thoughts on how to change the direction of our world...
- Pray: Jerry Falwell Sr. used to say, "nothing of eternal significance is ever accomplished apart from prayer." If we want to change the direction of our world and the direction of the next generation we must be people of prayer. 2 Chronicles 7:14, "if my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land." Do you have a wayward son or daughter? Pray for them. Do you have a wayward grandchild? Pray for him or her. Do you feel burdened for your city, state, schools in your county, Nation and the world? Pray for them. We must hit our knees in prayer. Nothing will change until we call on the name of our Lord.
- Evangelism: We must be people who put feet to our prayers. If all we do is pray and never open our mouth and share the Gospel with those we care about we are hypocrites. We need to be people of prayer and we need to be people who share the Gospel. Everyone we meet is on one of two roads: either a road which leads to Heaven or a road which leads to Hell. Those of us on the road to Heaven need to raise up our voices and implore those on the road to Hell to turn around and follow Christ. Our communities, states, Nation and the world will return to the Lord when people return to the Lord. Let us lift loud our voices and proclaim the Gospel to everyone we meet because eternity is long, Hell is hot, and millions are on there way there and we have the only means of escape. Share Christ with everyone you meet!
- Befriend Sinners: Take a minute and list ten people you know and have a real genuine relationship with who are sinners. Are you able to do it? Shame on us if we surround ourselves with "church folk" and never reach out to our lost family members, neighbors, and co-workers. Matthew records this in 19:11, "The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Look at him! A glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!' We are most like Jesus when we befriend sinners.
- Teach Why We Believe Something Is Wrong: I have noticed a trend in recent years with individuals who disagree. I have seen this trend not only in religious circles but also in political circles. We spend a lot of time talking at one another and not enough time talking with one another. The next generation knows what we are against but I am almost certain they do not know why we are against it. We need to spend more time reaching across the table with those we disagree with and have civil discussion on the issues. We need to teach the next generation the importance of marriage between a man/woman, gender identity, and other issues which society is teaching the next generation.
- God is on His Throne: When we discuss problems in our society we have a tendency to sound fearful and forget that God is on His throne. We need to remember that God is ruling and reigning over the entire Universe. His plan will NOT fail! He will accomplish His will in this world. We need to remind ourselves that our hope is not in a certain political party or church but our hope is in God ruling and reigning on His throne. Trust God! Do not loss heart! God is on the move and He will accomplish His plan. It may look bleak and dark but do not loss heart God WILL ACCOMPLISH HIS PURPOSE!!
In conclusion, the task to reach the next generation will not be easy but it will be rewarding. Will you join me in reaching the next generation?