Tuesday, April 19, 2016

God's Promises:

The God spoke to Moses, telling him, "I am Yahweh. I appeared to Abraham, Issac, and Jacob as God Almighty, but I did not reveal my name Yahweh to them. I also established My covenant with them to give them the land of Canaan, the land they lived in as foreigners. Furthermore, I have heard the groaning of the Israelites, whom the Egyptians are forcing to work as slaves, and I have remembered My covenant. Therefore tell the Israelites: I am Yahweh, and I will deliver you from the forced labor of the Egyptians and free you from slavery to them. I will redeem you with an outstretched arm and great acts of judgment. I will take you as My people, and I will be your God. You will know that I am Yahweh your God, who delivered you from the forced labor of the Egyptians. I will bring you to the land that I swore to give to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, and I will give it to you as a possession. I am Yahweh." Moses told this to the Israelites, but they did not listen to him because of their broken spirit and hard labor.
-Exodus 6:2-9

In CREW we have been going through the Book of Exodus and talking about how God keeps His promises. Promises provide us with hope of what is to come. In the midst of darkness, promises remind us of the glory of God. Here, we find that God gave Moses several awesome reminders. 

Consider these four "I will" statements: God says: (1) "I will deliver you" (Ex. 6:6a); (2) "I will redeem you" (6:6b) (3) "I will take you as My people, and I will be your God" (6:7); and (4) "I will bring you to the land I swore to give to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob" (6:8). These four statements highlight God's work of salvation. 

Liberation:
God said, "I will deliver you from the forced labor of the Egyptians and free you from slavery to them" (Ex. 6:6a). This is a picture of salvation. God is going to bring His people out of slavery and deliver them. God will liberate the people from bondage through Moses. This will be accomplished by grace through faith; it isn't something that Israel earned. The purpose of this liberation is that they might worship the Almighty God.

Redemption:
In Exodus 6:6b God said, "I will redeem you with an outstretched arm and great acts of judgment." With the exception of Jacob's blessing in Genesis 48:16, this is the first we see of the word redeem. Later it is used in Exodus 15:13, where the people are singing of God's redemption. In both cases it is the Hebrew word "gaal." When a person is the subject of this verb (as God is here), the word is "goel". God is the "redeemer," the "goel".

Adoption:
God said, "I will take you as My people, and I will be your God. You will know that I am Yahweh your God, who delivered you from the forced labor of the Egyptians" (Ex 6:7). This shows the familial nature of salvation. It reminds us of the doctrine of adoption. God is going to take Israel as His people. He has already called them his son. This is a display of God's matchless love.

Inheritance:
"I will bring you to the land that I swore to give to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, and I will give it to you as a possession" (Ex 6:8). God promises His people that they will have a possession. This promise was first mentioned to Abraham. Later, in the book of Joshua, we see the people entering, conquering, and inhabiting the land. These people had nothing. They were slaves in Egypt. But God is going to give them an inheritance-all by His grace.

Christ Connection:
The truths we see in this Old Testament story are taught in the New Testament as well. For instance, Paul said that Jesus, "gave Himself for our sins to rescue us from this present evil age" (Gal. 1:4). Spiritually, God sets us free from slavery and our inability to keep the law through the mediator, Jesus Christ. This occurs only by grace through faith; we haven't earned this. The purpose of our release, like the Israelites, is worship.

Not only that, but Paul said of God's choice of Israel, "to them belong the adoption, the glory, the covenants, the giving of the law, the temple service, and the promises" (Rom. 9:4). In redemption, God has rescued us from a dreadful situation, but there's more! Through adoption, God brings us into His very own family. This is privilege!

Finally, The New Testament draws on this idea of inheriting the promised land to the believer's hope in the new heavens and new earth. By Jesus' resurrection, we have an "inheritance that is imperishable, uncorrupted, and unfading, kept in heaven for you" (1 Pet 1:4). Peter said this inheritance is awesome (imperishable, uncorrupted, and unfading) and assured (kept in heaven for you). Jesus told us that the meek will inherit the earth.

For reasons like these, we can continue to live in obedience, even when it is difficult. We can rest in God's promises and trust in God's sovereignty as we make the one true God known to everyone on the earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment