Friday, April 10, 2015

Hillary Clinton for President:

On Sunday, April 12th, Hillary Clinton announced her presidential candidacy and as a father of a little girl I could not be more excited. Now before you start calling me a liberal and/or calling church members to take a vote and have me removed as Associate Pastor allow me to explain.

I am not excited because I am going to vote for her (I've already decided I am going to be voting for Rand Paul as the Republican nominee) nor am I excited at the thought of having another democrat in office for another four years. I am excited because as a dad of a little girl I can now honestly tell my daughter she can be anything she wants to be. Unlike crazy lady Sarah Palin (who let's face it, could never be President); Hillary Clinton will receive the nomination to be the candidate for the Democrat party and has a high likelihood of being elected.

Hillary Clinton running for the office of the President will shatter the "glass" ceiling which has been holding women back for decades. Hillary Clinton will bring to the table a much needed conversation concerning equal opportunity for women across this country. Consider her quote in her book Hard Choices, ""Becoming a grandmother has made me think deeply about the responsibility we all share as stewards of the world we inherit and will one day pass on," Clinton wrote. "I'm more convinced than ever that our future in the 21st century depends on our ability to ensure that a child born in the hills of Appalachia or the Mississippi Delta or the Rio Grande Valley grows up with the same shot at success that Charlotte (her granddaughter) will." Consider two more quotes from Hillary Clinton on women's rights, "I believe that the rights of women and girls is the unfinished business of the 21st century" & "we need to make equal pay and equal opportunity for women & girls a reality so women's rights are human rights once and for all."

 When Piper goes to bed at night and she looks at me asking what she should be when she grows up I can truthfully tell her she can be anything she wants to be. She can be a teacher, CEO of a multi-million dollar company, an astronaut, a stay-at-home mom, a nurse or even the President of the United States and  I can tell her about women who are filling or attempting to fill each of these roles.

I wept for joy when Barack Obama was elected for his first term as President because of what his presidency meant for race relations and the African-American community (we have come a long way. Yes, we have farther to go but look how far we've come). I now weep for joy that Hillary Clinton is running for President and what that will mean for women everywhere; including my own daughter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment