Thursday, February 13, 2014

RIP Dorito


Dorito, our cat, not the chip has died. When we first got Dorito a little over a year ago we choose a cat and not a dog because we thought a cat would be easier to leave behind and we would not get attached. Surprise, surprise that was not the case!

As I sit here typing this blog I’m starring at her empty food dish and with tears in my eyes I am remembering all of the great memories we shared. I remember asking a child one morning where we could buy a kitten, and he came back in the afternoon, took me by the hand and led me to a compound where I could purchase a kitten. I bought Dorito for Julia’s birthday, but, she quickly became my pet. 

I remember locking Dorito in the back bathroom for her first night at our house and walking back there in the morning to find her fast asleep in the bathtub. I woke her up and she followed me to the kitchen passing back and forth through my legs as I walked. I fed her tuna for her first meal and remember thinking that we were going to learn how to live in Africa together. Boy, did we learn a lot. 

Dorito ate better than any other cat in Nalerigu. She hunted mice and lizards at night but during the day we would always give her beef from our tacos, tuna, and even at times she would lick ice cream out of my bowl after I was finished. We had tuna last Saturday and as I was opening the can I kept expecting her to come running and meowing into the kitchen, but, she never came. 

I remember telling Julia that Dorito would NOT sleep in our bed, only, to change my mind three days later and every night while she was a kitten she would sleep at the top of my pillow. She would always wake up around 4:45 and stare at me until the alarm went off at 5:00. She was defiantly a morning cat.

 I remember her bringing home lizards, frogs, and squirrels as if I would help her eat them. I remember how nervous I was the first time she went out all night, but she was waiting at the door in the morning to be let in. I remember running around the house with a shoe lace, watching her chase after and pounce on it. I remember her climbing on the roof of our house and having to get a letter and climb on the roof to puller her down.

I have a lot of good memories with Dorito and I’m very thankful we got a cat instead of a dog. Dorito proved that cats are better than dogs. She was easy to love, take care of and she wasn't always longing for attention. I’m amazed how in just a short time an animal could become a member of the family. We will always remember our first pet and we are excited to return to America and purchase a new cat. This time he will be a spaded, declawed, indoor, fat cat!

No comments:

Post a Comment