Monday, March 23, 2015

BMW, Hungry Children & God's Blessing

Julia and I returned from serving two years in Ghana, Africa on July 2014. We have done very well adjusting back to life in America; however, occasionally something will happen which will set me off. 

On Saturday, Julia and I were out to eat at O'Charley's and when we left we noticed a $100,000 BMW sitting in the parking lot with the front license plate of "blessed". This license plate triggered something inside of me. To the right you can see a picture of the BMW. I put the picture on Facebook/Instagram with this caption, "the kids in the bottom picture are blessed because they have a meal to eat and won't go to bed hungry while the arrogant guy with the BMW is blessed because he can afford a 100,000 car. Sometimes being back in America upsets me." My picture sparked a conversation on Facebook about the word blessed and how we use it in America.

I am upset by the use of the word "blessed" in America because when we say that my material fortune is the result of God's blessing, it reduces The Almighty to some sort of sky-bound, wish-granting fairy who spends his days randomly bestowing cars and cash upon his followers. Sure, God wants us to continually seek His will, and it's for our own good. But positive reinforcement?

Second, and more importantly, calling myself blessed because of material good fortune is just plain wrong. For starters, it can be offensive to the hundreds of millions of Christians in the world who live on less than $10 per day. You read that right. Hundreds of millions who receive a single-digit dollar "blessing" per day.

During our 2 years in Ghana Julia and I witnessed first-hand the damage done by the theology of prosperity, where faithful people scraping by to feed their families were simply told they must not be faithful enough. If they were, God would pull them out of their nightmare. Just try harder, and God will show favor.

The problem? Nowhere in scripture are we promised worldly ease in return for our pledge of faith. In fact, the most devout saints from the Bible usually died penniless, receiving a one-way ticket to prison or death by torture.

If we're looking for the definition of blessing, Jesus spells it out clearly (Matthew 5: 1-12).

1 Now when he saw the crowds, he went up on a mountainside and sat down. His disciples came to Him,

2 And He began to teach them, saying:

3 Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

4 Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.

5 Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.

6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst after righteousness, for they will be filled.

7 Blessed are the merciful, for they shall be shown mercy.

8 Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.

9 Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called the sons of God.

10 Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

11 Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me.

12 Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

On Saturday, Julia and I closed on a house and to be honest it would be easy to say we are blessed but the truth is, I have no idea why I was born where I was or why I have the opportunities I have. It's beyond comprehension. But I certainly don't believe God has chosen me above others because of the veracity of my prayers or the depth of my faith. Still, if I take advantage of the opportunities set before me, a comfortable life may come my way. It's not guaranteed. But if it does happen, I don't believe Jesus will call me blessed.

He will call me "burdened."

He will ask,

"What will you do with it?"

"Will you use it for yourself?"

"Will you use it to help?"

"Will you hold it close for comfort?"

"Will you share it?"

So many hard choices. So few easy answers.

So my prayer today is that I understand my true blessing. It's not my house. Or my job. Or my standard of living.

No.

My blessing is this. I know a God who gives hope to the hopeless. I know a God who loves the unlovable. I know a God who comforts the sorrowful. And I know a God who has planted this same power within me. Within all of us. We are blessed because God chose us, saved us, redeemed us, adopted us into His family, justified, sanctifies and one day we will co-rule with Him in the Kingdom. God us taken us worthless totally depraved sinners and redeemed us for good works by the blood of His Son.

And for this blessing, may our response always be,

"Use me."

No comments:

Post a Comment