Wednesday, January 1, 2014

January Newsletter

A baby changes everything.-Faith Hill

PICTURES:
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year from the 3 Welchs

Julia and I at the start of the big day. They call it labor for a reason. I've determined that women are stronger than men.

Our beautiful bundle of joy: Piper Christine Welch

Blowing kisses from Africa.

I was nervous about holding her for the first time, but I was amazed at how natural it came.

Labor wore me out.

Isn't she the cutest little thing.

She has me wrapped around her finger. I'm ready to give her the credit card as soon as she's old enough.

Mother and daughter.

I love Julia more now than ever before.

Asleep at last, a sleep at last. Praise God she's asleep at last
Julia's parents brought us food from America. Julia's enjoying a Krispy Kreme donut. 

Big Mac from McDonalds!

Christmas morning in Africa!

Piper enjoying her new seat from her Great-Grandmother.

This mosque is a five minute walk from where we are staying in Senegal. Every time we hear the call to prayer we are reminded why we moved from America to Africa.

Fishermen mending their nets on the beaches of Dakar. 


Julia and Piper soaking up the rays. Don't worry Piper wasn't in the sun very long.

Piper's first trip to the beach.

STORY:
Julia and I are enjoying life as new parents. We are learning that being a new parent is hard; but the rewards outweigh the work which is involved. We could share with you a myriad of stories about the fun we are having with Piper; however, because of time we will only share one: The Great Diaper Fiasco of December 17th.

It began like any normal afternoon. I was holding and starring into the face of the world's most awesome daughter. When all of a sudden her face began to contort and turn bright red. As Piper's face began to relax a horrific smell wafted through the air to my nose. As I starred down into Piper's smiling/gassy face, I knew she had left me a present. I thought to myself, I will serve Julia by changing this diaper. Little did I know what I was in for.

I got everything situated; I laid down a towel, grabbed a diaper, wipes and began to unbutton her onesie. My fat fingers found it difficult to undue the buttons. (I mean why are these buttons so incredibly small, does the manufacturer only want women changing clothes). After I stripped Piper down. I was a little hot so I turned on the fan. I proceeded to open Piper's diaper to a seedy, brown, awful smelling poop. As I began to wipe her, the cool breeze from the fan began to hit the both of us. As soon as the cool breeze hit Piper she began to pee. I don't mean just a little pee, I mean pee began to go everywhere. I started to scream, "JUUUULLLIIIIAAAA, HEELLLPPPP MEEEE!!!" Piper did not like my screaming and began to scream also; all the while pee was continuing to shoot out. I grabbed Piper and made a bee-line to the bedroom, leaving a pee-line behind us. As I entered the bedroom, I happened to look down at Piper's face and began to see her peaceful complexion change to a look of concentration. I began to get nervous as her face once again began to turn red and bunch up. Here I am holding a naked baby close to me and all signs are pointing to torpedoes away! I held her away from me as I searched frantically for a towel. Rumbling began to erupt from Piper's stomach. Her face began to contort and turn bright red. I searched frantically for a towel, throwing clothes, toys, and books all over the floor. I finally saw a towel across the room. I sprinted towards the towel as Piper's face turned redder and redder with concentration. I grabbed the towel and threw it around her right before torpedoes launched. When the torpedoes hit the towel, a mess went everywhere. Poop went all over Piper and myself. We both began to cry and scream for Julia.

Piper and I lived through the diaper fiasco of December 17th and we both learned two very valuable lessons. We learned if you are going to change a diaper make sure you wait a few minutes to make sure the baby is finished and don't turn on a fan.

DEVOTIONS:
Our Sovereign God
The Day I Tested Positive for Tuberculosis

PRAYER REQUESTS:
I will be leaving Julia and Piper on January 4th to travel to Turkey  in order to finish my seminary education. I will be gone January 4th-17th. I am sad to leave my family but realize in the end it will be worth it. Please be in prayer for myself as I travel. Pray I am able to focus in class and accomplish all of my work. Pray for Julia and Piper as I am in Senegal. Pray God gives Julia strength.

We are still waiting for Piper's passport, certificate of birth abroad, and visa. Please pray all of this paperwork would be in by January 17th when I return from classes in Turkey. I have to leave shortly after returning and I do not want to leave Julia alone to travel with just her and Piper. Please pray the paperwork is processed and returned quickly.

We found out that I have been exposed to tuberculosis. What this means is that the TB bacteria has entered my body and the infection has been contained, but not cleared. I am not ill, nor infectious to other people. The body has walled off the bacteria, however, I will need treatment. I will begin INH treatment in the new year. This treatment will involve me taking a pill everyday for the next 9 months. Please be in prayer for my healing. If you would like more information you may read the blog under the Devotional tab of this news letter.

I will begin applying for jobs this month. Do you know of any churches or schools which are hiring? I am looking for ministry related jobs either in a church or school. Please be in prayer over the application process. Please pray that God would direct my search to the job which best matches my gifting and qualification. Pray I am able to find a job before returning to the States in July.

We have six months left in Nalerigu. It is easy to shift our focus from Ghana to America. Please pray that we would be faithful in finishing the task which God has called us to. Pray we would work hard to train Nationals to continue our ministries long after we have left Nalerigu. Pray we have a fruitful six months.

MORE PICS:
The 3 Welchs

Piper's not sure what to make of all these kisses.

Is it possible to love someone to much? 

We love Piper from her head to her feet.
Piper in her Christmas outfit.


Thank you for holding the rope for us! We love you all.

Serving Him,

The 3 Welchs

No comments:

Post a Comment