Thursday, May 23, 2013

Now That's Funny


And their eyes were opened. Then Jesus warned them sternly, “Be sure that no one finds out!” But they went out and spread the news about Him throughout the whole area.-Matthew 9:30-31

I have been reading through the Bible during our time in Ghana and I am constantly amazed at how funny some of the stories are in the Bible. For example, in the Old Testament there is a story about children making fun of Elijah for being bald and Elijah calls a bear out of the woods to eat them. That’s funny! Or the story of the brothers who convinced a whole tribe to circumcise themselves and while they are lying on their backs recovering, the brothers march into the town and slaughter everyone. That’s funny! While these stories are funny and slightly morbid, one of the funniest situations in the Bible takes place when Jesus heals people and commands them NOT to tell anyone about what has happened. Now, that’s funny.

For example, in the Gospel of Matthew we read about a dad with a very sick daughter who comes to Jesus because he has heard that Jesus is able to heal the sick. The dad finds Jesus, explains the situation and Jesus is following the man back to his house when they receive word that the child had died. Jesus doesn’t turn around but continues to the man’s house, walks in and raises the daughter from the dead. He brings this man’s daughter back from the dead and then proceeds to command him NOT to tell anyone. If I were the father I would be like, “what are you talking about? My daughter was dead and now she’s alive how can I not share this news.” OR consider the story in Matthew 9 in which Jesus gives sight to two blind men and after healing them he commands them NOT to share what has happened. The men basically say, “Forget that. I’m telling everyone. I was blind and now I see, and we must share this news.” In both instances the individuals disobey Jesus and share about His power over death and sight with everyone they meet.

Today, we have it backwards. Jesus Christ has raised us from death to life. He has given us spiritual sight so that now we can say, “I once was blind, but now I see. I was dead, but now I am alive.” He has commanded us to share this truth with everyone but we keep our mouth shut. Now, that’s funny! We must learn a lesson from those who disobeyed Christ and spread the news about Jesus everywhere God has placed us! Go, obey Christ and share your faith while there is still time.

No comments:

Post a Comment