Saturday, May 18, 2013

Great is Your Reward

Yes, says the Spirit, let them rest from their labors, for their works follow them.- Revelation 14:13

Missions work is not easy. In fact at times it is very hard and discouraging. This morning, was one of those days when I wonder why I wanted to be a missionary.

I planned on having a relaxing morning studying language and lounging around the house. I had settled into my spot on the couch with my language book when three children pulled up to my house on bicycles. These three children attend the feeding center where Julia and I serve on Tuesday afternoons. They informed me that all of the orphans weren't allowed to take exams because no-one had paid their exams fees. In Ghana every semester children have to take exams to determine whether or not they are promoted or demoted to the next grade. If the children can't take exams; they will be removed from school. I had been informed that the exam fees had already been paid, so, when the children arrived at my door I was angry with the school. I hoped on my moto. and drove to the school. I spoke with the man in charge of admission, the man in charge of school fees, the man in charge of sports fees, the man in charge of exam fees and finally the head-master. After two hours of being calm and talking to people who did not matter I finally was able to talk with the head master. He informed me that the school had made a mistake and hadn't informed the group which pays for the children's schooling about the exam fees. There was NOTHING he could do about the mistake and the exam fees had to be paid. I was livid! I got angry! After my rant at everyone in the room, I pulled out my wallet and paid the exam fees and stormed out.

Missions work is hard, however, I am grateful to be serving a God who sees my work and will reward me. I know that when I stand-up for those who have no voice I am acting like my Heavenly Father. I know that by serving in Ghana I am storing up treasures in Heaven. I have faith in future grace that one day I will be able to rest from my labors and my works on Earth will follow me to Heaven and my reward will be great! O, what a glorious day that will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment