Saturday, December 29, 2012

Identity in Christ

Yenni, ayi, ata, anasi, anu, ayopo, ayopue, ani, awi, piya-Counting to 10 in Mamprulli

In America, I derived my identity from my work and what others said about me. In Seminary, I was at the top of my class and people looked up to me. Occasionally, individuals would come up to me and ask my opinion about important topics. I received satisfaction and my identity from my work and what others said about me. 

In Africa no-one thinks I am smart. No one stops me on the street and asks my opinion on an important topic. If I am stopped on the street at all it is to ask me for money or to hear me butcher the language. I have gone from being a straight A Masters of Divinity student to having to re-learn how to count to 10. Try being an adult and going up to other adults to show them that you can count to ten; it's pretty humiliating. I don't understand the language and I certainly don't understand the culture and at times I am very discouraged. However, through it all God is teaching me an important lesson. God has moved me to Africa and enrolled me in language class to teach me that my identity is not found in my work or what others say about me but rather my identity is found in Christ. 

I am learning that...

I am accepted...
I am God's child                                                                   John 1:12
I have been bought with a price and belong to God             1 Corinthians 6:19-20
I have direct access to the throne of grace                           Hebrews 4:14-16
I am secure...
God will complete the good work He started in me            Philippians 1:6
I am established, anointed, and sealed by God                    2 Corinthians 1:21-22
I am free from condemnation                                               Romans 8:1-2
I am significant...
I have been chosen by God                                                 Ephesians 1
I am sealed with Christ in Heaven                                     Ephesians 2:6
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me        Philippians 4:13

I may not understand the language or the culture and I may make a zillion mistakes however, when I lay my head on my pillow at night I know that I am accepted, secure, and significant to God. God has moved me to Africa and enrolled me in language class to teach me that my identity is not found in my work or what others say about me but rather my identity is found in Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment