Thursday, August 23, 2012

Do NOT Worry!


Don’t worry about anything but in everything by prayer and supplication make your requests known to God.-Philippians 4:6

            Philippians 4:6 is a popular bible verse which a lot of Christians have memorized. I choose to memorize/study the verse while at training due to my worrying personality. I tend to worry a lot. When I read/recite Philippians 4:6 I am reminded that I am not to worry about anything! I worry about Ghana; I worry about language learning, team dynamics, our paycheck, and living without air conditioning. I worry about what will happen when we return from the field; will we find jobs, a house, cars, insurance? These days I tend to worry a lot.

            Paul rebukes my worrying and commands that in everything through prayer and supplication I must make my requests known to God. I am commanded/ we are commanded NOT to worry but to give all of our worries to God through prayer. When I am sitting in class or lying in bed and I begin to think about an issue which will cause me to worry; I am commanded to stop and in that moment turn it over to God in prayer. If I don’t worry about anything and give everything over to God in prayer than I would be able to pray without ceasing and would grow closer to Him.

            Praying about everything and making my requests known to God forces me to get real with Him. I share with God my deepest thoughts, fears, and worries. When I share my deepest thoughts, fears, and worries I grow more intimate with Him. I place my worries at the feet of the one who owns it all. I no longer need to worry about the future concerning jobs because I have given it over to the One who provides for the birds of the air and if He provides for them, than I can trust He will provide for me. I don’t have to worry about language learning because I have laid the worry at the feet of the one who made the tongue and who instituted all of the languages. I don’t have to worry about team dynamics because I have laid the worry at the feet of the one who has lived for all time in a team. When I give my worries to God; I grow closer and more intimate with God. God is teaching me not to worry but in everything by prayer and supplication to make my requests known to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment