Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Last Letter: Deleting Facebook & Twitter

Dear family and friends,

As many of you know Julia and I will be leaving for Ghana, Africa very soon. We will be in Ghana for the next two years working with Chaplains in a local hospital. If you would like to watch a video of where we will be working here is a link (Baptist Medical Center). We are nervous and excited for what God has in store.

We will be living and working in Ghana for the next two years. Due to the internet access as well as the economic condition of where we will be living I will be deleting my Facebook and will be inactive on Twitter. This is a decision I have not come too lightly, as you know I love to Tweet, post, and blog. I came to the decision in large part because of the distraction Facebook and Twitter could cause overseas. We will be living without comforts of America and I believe the pictures and posts could cause our hearts and minds to covet America. Facebook and Twitter could cause us to covet time with family, friends, Air Conditioning, food, parties, etc. Also, while in Ghana we desire to be a good steward of the money which has been donated to us by the Southern Baptist Convention as well as by our supporters. We feel that spending time on Facebook/Twitter and never really engaging the Ghanaian people would not be what God has called us to do. Therefore, I will be deleting Facebook and going dark on Twitter on Saturday, July 21st at 9:00 pm.

I understand a lot of you have been following Julia and I via Twitter and Facebook and would love to stay connected with us while we are overseas. There are two options:


Number one, we will send out a bi-monthly/monthly e-newsletter. If you would like to be on the distribution list please send me a message with your e-mail address and I will add you to the list. This is the best way to stay connected with us.

Number two, we will be revamping my blog to focus solely on our work in Ghana. The blog will include written updates, a daily diary, as well as pictures. You may follow the blog in order to stay updated.

Thank you for your support and encouragement on Facebook and Twitter. We will be back in two years and if Facebook and Twitter are still utilized we will jump right back into the conversation. We love you.

Serving Him,

T Elliott & Julia Welch

No comments:

Post a Comment