Thursday, June 7, 2012

An Open Letter to the SBC


Dear Southern Baptists,

My name is T Elliott Welch and I have been a Christian for six years and a Southern Baptist for two. I am a student at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary and I have recently been appointed as an ISC Missionary to Ghana, West Africa by the International Mission Board of the Southern Baptist Convention.

I have only been a Southern Baptist for a couple of years; however, God has ignited a flame within my heart for the Southern Baptist Convention. I am in agreement with the BFM 2000 as well as the ecclesiology which permeates every aspect of Southern Baptist life. I am in agreement with local church autonomy, soul competency of the believer as well as a strong advocate for the cooperative program. In fact the cooperative program is an aspect of the SBC which I admire the most. The cooperative program has allowed Southern Baptists the ability to unite for the cause of evangelism, church planting and missions under the banner we can do more together than we ever could apart.

I have been encouraged by the wonderful things which have taken/are taking place within Southern Baptist life. I was encouraged as I studied and researched the Conservative Resurgence. The dedication and bravery of the men who took a stand for the Bible is awe-inspiring and God used the stories of their courage to solidify within me a desire to preach the Word! I was encouraged last year with the Great Commission Resurgence and the commitment of the majority of Southern Baptist churches to fulfill the Great Commission and dedicate more resources to the Cooperative Program. Finally, I am encouraged this year as there is a strong probability that the first African American president of the SBC could be elected. Yes, these are great days to be a part of the Southern Baptist Convention.

Which is why the current controversy which is taking place within the SBC is disheartening. I am broken-hearted over the conversation which has taken place concerning a “A Statement of the Traditional Southern Baptist's Understanding of God's plan of Salvation." I have read numerous tweets and blogs from both sides of the debate and neither side has represented the other in a fair light. At a time when we should be united, we have fractured into warring parts! I am both encouraged and disheartened by the state of SBC life. On the one hand I am encouraged by the Great Commission Resurgence; however, on the other I am discouraged over the tribalism and how the SBC appears to be splitting into tribes with Calvinists on one side and Arminians on the other. I am encouraged in the area of race relations within the SBC with the election of Fred Luter; however, I am discouraged over the emphasis on secondary issues (Calvinism vs. Arminianism) while neglecting the primary issue (evangelizing the world). I am encouraged by the numerous State Conventions which have moved to giving 50% of their funds to the National Conventions; however, I am discouraged over the lack of unity amongst brothers and sisters who worship the same God (yes, we disagree about the extent of the atonement, and where to place regeneration, but, should that be enough to splinter us?)

 As far as I can tell the Southern Baptist Convention has always been a convention made up of Calvinists, Arminians, and those in-between. The SBC has grown to 44,000 churches (largest Protestant denom.), sent out the largest number of missionaries, and reached thousands of cities for Christ because of our ability to unite under the cause of evangelism, missions and reaching the lost for Christ. Cooperative program giving is at an all time low. The Lottie Moon Christmas Offering and Annie Armstrong Easter Offerings have been at low levels for years. The North American and International Mission Boards have had to make substantial cuts and send fewer individuals to share the Gospel and ALL we can think to do is sit around and attack each other.

It is time for those of us in the SBC to stop sitting in the dug-out taking pot shots at each other and instead stride out onto the mission field. We (Calvinists and Arminians) must stop arguing and once again cooperate together in order to reach the world for Christ! The SBC must once again unite under the theme which has made us the largest Protestant denomination; the theme being we can do more together than we ever could apart!

Serving Him,

T Elliott Welch


No comments:

Post a Comment