Monday, August 15, 2011

Confession Time:

My name is T Elliott Welch and I am a people-pleaser and have a shy personality. This may come as a shock to some of you, but I worry about what others think of me. My fear of people has resulted in numerous awkward moments as well as times of missed opportunities for the Gospel. I may be a people-pleaser and I may have a shy personality, however, I do not have the right to be silent about my faith. I have heard numerous Christians attempt to rationalize their lack of evangelistic zeal with the excuse that they do not have a type A personality or that they are afraid. If this is your excuse I understand, however, this is not a valid excuse. Here are five reasons why even though we are afraid we must still share our faith and preach in the open air.
5) Sharing your faith is pure joy:
  • This may be hard to believe but it is a blast to share your faith. I always leave dragging my feet not wanting to go but when I return I am leaping for joy.
  • The adrenaline pumping through your veins as you walk up to a complete stranger and prepare to share the Gospel is addicting. I have run into a burning building and not even that experience compares to the adrenaline which I receive when I share my faith. It is pure joy to share your faith!
4) You're able to put into practice what you learn in school/church:
  • This semester I will spend forty hours a week in the classroom or in the library reading and studying theology. I will become arrogant and prideful if I do not share what I am learning. Sharing your faith allows you to apply what is learned in school.
  • When you share your faith or preach in the open air you are teaching theology. You are teaching others to have a correct view of God, a correct view of man and in return this will result in a correct understanding of the Gospel. 
3) You're able to observe the Holy Spirit bring conviction on a sinners heart and watch God miraculously save sinners:
  • I have watched hardened sinners become broken by the Holy Spirit and cry out to God on the side of the street. Nothing compares to watching the Holy Spirit break a man and draw him to God.
  • James tells us: "My brothers, if anyone among you wanders from the truth and someone brings him back, let him know that whoever brings back a sinner from his wandering will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins."
  • Proverbs tells us: "He who wins souls is wise."
2) You grow closer to God:
  • When you go out to share your faith you are relying on the Holy Spirit to bring individuals across your path who are open to having a spiritual conversation. You are relying on the Holy Spirit to bring about a conviction of sin and you are relying on the Holy Spirit to draw the elect to God. When you share your faith you learn to trust God and lean on Him, because of this you grow closer to God.
  • Your prayer/bible study/worship improves when you share your faith, because you desire to learn more about God so that you may share Him with others.
1) Christ is worthy:
  • John tells us: "Worthy are you to take the scroll and to open it's seals, for you were slain, and by your blood you ransomed people for God from every tribe and language and people and nation, and you have made them a kingdom and priests to our God, and they shall reign on the earth."
  • Christ is worthy to receive the reward of His suffering! Christ is worth losing everything for!
  • If you don't share your faith than you don't believe He is worth having an awkward conversation or losing a friend over, trust me, He is worth it!
Are you a people-pleaser? Are you afraid of what others may think? Are you afraid you can't witness because you don't have a type A personality? If so, hear the words of Paul..."God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, so that no human being might boast in the presence of God." If you are a people-pleaser, afraid of what others think, or shy than you are just the person God wants out on the street sharing your faith with others! Now, GO and share your faith while there is still time.


No comments:

Post a Comment