Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Three Greatest Words in the Bible

Last night as I was driving home from work I heard the greatest Christian song of all time, I was crying so hard by the end I almost had to pull over. The song is by Jason Gray and is entitled "I am new." If you have not heard the song I recomend listening to it now, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsJ1E9cbHL4&NR=1 if you are pressed for time just listen at the 3:00 minute mark.
The chorus is:
 I am not who I was
I am being remade
I am new
I am chosen and holy
And I'm dearly loved
I am new
This morning I have been doing a Word Study on those three words, chosen, holy and beloved, here is what I have found.
Chosen:
We are God's elect. Before the foundation of the world, God chose us in Christ. You can hear how precious this is to Paul with his words from Romans 8:33: "Who shall bring any charge against God's elect?" The answer is that absolutely nobody can make a charge stick against God's elect. Paul wants us to feel the wonder of being elect as being invincibly loved. If you resist the truth of election, you resist being loved in the fullness and the sweetness of God's love.
Holy:
We are holy-- that is, set apart for God. He chose us for a purpose--to be his holy people. To come out of the world and not be common or unclean anymore. Ephesians 1:4: "He chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy." First Peter 2:9: "You are a chosen race..a holy nation." This is first a position and a destiny before it is a pattern of behavior. That is why he is telling us the kind of behavior to "put on". He knows we are not there yet, practically. He is calling us to become holy in life because we are holy in Christ. Dress to fit who you are. Wear holiness.
Loved:
We are loved. "God's chosen ones, holy and beloved." If you are a believer in Christ, God, the maker of the universe, chose you, set you apart for himself, and loves you. He is for you and not against you. "God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us" (Rom 5:8).

I pray that these three meaty theological concepts will be used to encourage you in the coming year.

1 comment: