Monday, November 22, 2010

Never Underestimate the Power of Thanksgiving

There are days when I wish I was an African American Preacher. I wish I was an African American preacher because then I could stand before a group of people and in a loud booming voice say, "Never Underestimate the Power of Thanksgiving!"

However,

I am not an African American preacher but rather a "slightly" over-weight white boy who dreams to tell people to "never underestimate the power of Thanksgiving!"

The power of thanksgiving is seen in the Psalms. In the Psalms the author expresses his thankfulness to God 31 times. This is significant considering the majority of the time he is on the run for his life and not living in the best conditions. The power of thanksgiving is important because it focuses our attention on what we do not have to all that we do have. I repeat, the power of thanksgiving is important because it focuses our attention on what we do not have to all that we do have. This Thanksgiving while America is in one of the worst recessions and the economy is in the tank, what are you thankful for? What has God blessed you with this year? Below, is a list of the things I am thankful for:

1) My realtionship with God.
2) Jesus Christ dying on the cross for my sins.
3) My wife Julia, who stands by me through the good and bad times.
4) My family. They believe in me and teach me to trust God and follow after my dreams.
5) Julia's family they are quickly becoming an extension of my own family.
6) My own copy of God's Word to read everyday.
7) Freedom of religion in America.
8) My church family at Open Door Baptist Church.
9) A church that allows Julia and I the opportunity to serve and teach the Bible verse by verse.
10) The fact that my wife found a job as a teacher and is able to do what she loves.
11) My wife teaches in a school where she is able to share her faith and tell others about Jesus Christ.
12) Two working cars which allow us to get to work and drive around town.
13) I have a job.
14) My job is flexible.
15) I have a great boss who loves the Lord.
16) I am able to receive a Master's Level education.
17) I am able to go to school for free on the Keesee grant.
18) My parents who love the Lord, me, and support me.
19) A brother who is serving our country.
20) A sister who helps the less fortunate.
21) A sister in law who is gifted in administration and hooks us up with chick fil a sandwhiches.
22) In-Laws who love and support me.
23) Good health
24) My wife has good health.
25) An apartment.
26) Working lights.
27) Running water.
28) Heat.
29) Food in our cupboards.
30) A CiCi's card where we are able to eat a buffet for ONLY $7.

God has blessed Julia and I in numerous ways this year. We are incredibly blessed and thankful. Take a moment this Thanksgiving and thank God for all He has given you. Remember to never underestimate the power of Thanksgiving

1 comment:

  1. Love it man. that was just awesome... and by the way you would make a great African American preacher!

    ReplyDelete