Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Tough Question: What To Do When A Homeless Person Asks You For Money?:


The other day I was walking into Walmart and was stopped by a homeless person asking for money. This is a typical encounter in that section of town and it has led to a number of questions both from me and church members. Questions such as, how do we actually serve homeless people? How do we respond when someone looks us in the eyes and asks us for money?

If you live in a city then you probably are asked for money on a regular basis. I know this because as the pastor I am asked from time what we should do when we encounter someone who is homeless who asks us for money.

The fact of the matter is that our hearts should break in compassion for those who are struggling. The Bible is also very clear about helping the poor. We are to have compassion for those who are suffering and show them grace.

Proverbs 14:21Open in Logos Bible Software (if available) says, “He who oppresses the poor taunts his Maker, but he who is gracious to the needy honors Him.”

That said there is a fear on the part of the asked is clear, that the person asking will take the money and go and buy booze or cigarettes. And while it is ok to be wronged by liars in this life and we can accept it is true that we should be wise with our money.

Our calling is clear, we need to be gracious to those who are needy but how do we know that the person asking is actually in need? And how do we know if they will use our money the right way?

There is another fear and that is that when I am giving money to someone who is homeless I may be helping them for a day or two but I am not helping them with their relationship with the Lord.

All that to say here is what I do.

I do not give any money to strangers. But I will offer food and will always share the Gospel.

When someone asks me for money, and I have time to stop (which really is more often than we realize or want to admit), I usually say something like this, “I’m so sorry I do not have any money to give you but I would love to buy you something to eat” I would say that over the years this has eliminated about 80% who simply wanted cash and weren’t actually hungry or had a specific need.

Then, When I go and get them food I will ask if they mind if I share with them about my love for Christ and I will take a few minutes to share the Gospel with them and leave them with a tract I wrote.

I can’t remember one time where I bought someone food and they didn’t let me share the Gospel with them.

Personally, I have a problem with giving money to strangers, not knowing how they will spend it, and more importantly, I have a real problem with helping someone with a physical need but not then talking to them about their spiritual condition which is in far greater danger. I mean is there anything more tragic than living a terrible life on earth only to move on to a much more terrible reality for eternity in hell?

Of course, this is not a biblical mandate and therefore I only offer it as advice. There are other things you can do, like partner with Christian homeless shelters. I know of people who prepare bags they keep in their car (filled with water bottles, snacks and tracts) or you can do whatever the Lord places on your heart, but I encourage you to carry tracts with you and to be ready and willing to share the Gospel every time the Lord gives you an opportunity (which again, is more often than we realize or want to admit).

May God give us a heart of compassion for the physical needs of the people he puts in our path and most of all that our hearts would break for the souls who will spend eternity in hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment