Monday, September 10, 2012

We Will Remember

       I have been reading through the Pentateuch (first five books of the Old Testament). While reading through these books I have been amazed at the number of times God instructs the Israelites to remember all that He has done for them. The Israelites are instructed to write down everything God has done in order to remind them and help teach their children about God's faithfulness. When future generations read about all God has done these generations will glorify Him.

        The process of remembering all God has done in the past for Israel caused me to sit down and write out all God has done in our lives to send us overseas. God's faithfulness has been evident throughout the course of our lives. Below is an incomplete (it would be a long blog if I included everything) list of all God has done. My prayer is that this list will encourage you to expect great things from God and attempt great things for God.

  1. God saved me my freshman year at Liberty University.
  2. God gave me a burden for missions my Freshman year.
  3. God placed me on a hall and brought friends into my life who had a heart for the Nations.
  4. God provided through other people the resources necessary to spend two weeks in the Amazon region of Brazil.
  5. God opened the door to have the privilege to go out witnessing every weekend in down-town Lynchburg and in the bar section of Roanoke.
  6. God provided the opportunity to work with Internationals at LU. He also provided an opportunity to assist with an international chapel every Tuesday.
  7. God provided the opportunity to teach conversational English to five Korean students.
  8. God brought Julia into my life. She has a heart and a desire to take the Gospel to the Nations. She is my better half.
  9. God provided through other people the resources necessary to spend two weeks in India and see the unreached and unengaged with my own eyes.
  10. God opened the door for me to continue my studies at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminay in their 2+2 program.
  11. God allowed me to marry the woman of my dreams.
  12. God provided Julia with a teaching job at a wonderful Christian School. The principal said in an e-mail that she was drawn to Julia's application.
  13. God allowed Julia's car to run without any major problems. For two years she drove forty minutes to and from work five days a week. She put a lot of miles on her car.
  14. God provided a job as a janitor. I cleaned five office buildings five nights a week.
  15. God provided a job as a swim instructor. I started teaching swim lessons to two kids and after two summers God had brought over fifty kids into the program all of whom learned to swim.
  16. God provided the Keesee Grant which allowed me to attend Southeastern free of charge.
  17. God worked through my education at Liberty and I was able to test out of five classes.
  18. The IMB informed Julia and I that she had to travel over-seas before they could send us for two years. God provided all of the resources for Julia to travel over-seas within one week of learning that she had to travel over-seas.
  19. God provided a second job for us. I taught gym and Julia taught after-school care. The extra money allowed us to no-longer live paycheck to paycheck.
  20. God opened the door for us to be hired by the International Mission Board.
  21. God allowed me to receive the International Church Planter award at Southeastern.
  22. God allowed me to finish the first portion of my 2+2 degree in two years. This is almost unheard of.
  23. God provided for us through our family and friends allowing us to stay at their houses during our time of transition from Wake Forest to Africa.
  24. God sent us to training at ILC for eight weeks and three days.
  25. God allowed us to graduate from training.
  26. God sent Julia and I to Africa.
God has provided for Julia and I every second, of every minute, of every hour, of every day. God has been working and preparing the both of us for our time in Africa. We know that the same God who called us and provided for us to travel to Africa will continue to provide for us while we are overseas. We are learning lessons which we will teach to our kids and future generations for years to come. May our story inspire you to expect great things from God and attempt great things for God.

No comments:

Post a Comment