Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Lessons Learned: Seven truths


When I entered Liberty University in 2006, I knew nothing about Calvinism, but I knew I didn't like it. It was there, at the school where Jerry Falwell was founder and Ergun Caner was President of the Seminary, that I became a full (five-point) Calvinist. (Don't confuse full Calvinism with hyperCalvinism).  Although Falwell and Caner didn't personally encourage me to embrace it, they helped.  MY RA, Bryan Rhodes, was a committed Calvinist who greatly influenced me.  A fellow student also encouraged me to think through true Calvinism rather than the caricature in my mind. As I studied more Scripture and read authors who embraced Calvinism, I found myself fondly drawn to it, almost as though it were irresistible. During my time in college, I read J. I. Packer’s, Evangelism and the Sovereignty of God, which I found persuasive.

As a young college student, the more I studied Calvinism, the more these great biblical truths resonated in my heart.  I discovered seven great truths which are found in the teachings of Calvinism.

1)      Happy, hedonistic Calvinists pursue their joy in Christ
One of the greatest things that the Reformed perspective has given me, especially as popularized by John Piper, is a hot pursuit of all that God is for me in Jesus (Ps 73:25-26; Mt 11:27-30; Jn 14:6). Happy Christian hedonism involves a radical faith in God's supremacy in all things (Ps 46:1-3), and a belief that God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in him (Ps 100:1-3; Jn 4:14). Abundant joy comes to those who pursue all that God is for them in Jesus (1 Pet 1:3-9).  I'm not insinuating that only five-point Calvinists can possess joy, but there is something about the principles within Reformed theology that keeps me hungering after God's heart in a way that I don't think I would with another theology. I'm also not saying that I've cornered the market on joy. Like other believers, I have my own pet sins and weaknesses. At times, too, I have difficulty accepting all that God wills into my life. But I believe that Calvinism, rightly understood in the Reformed tradition, sets a Christian free to know Christ in the deepest, fullest joy ever given to redeemed man.

2)      The cash of Calvinism works well as mission currency
When I pursued missions, rather than become inconsistent, I embraced all that Calvinism offers in Jesus--a heart for God's glory, and that means a heart for others to praise him. Having become Southern Baptist, the flower of evangelism had already blossomed as an integral part of my theology, but as I fully embraced Calvinism, I became a complete Calvinist. In my mind, a full Calvinist is a five-point Calvinist, and a complete Calvinist is one who pursues God's heart for the nations. In other words, Calvinists should do missions too, as should any true Christian. Full Calvinists should step into missions especially because they cling to the supremacy of Christ in all things.  Who better to face worldly darkness than those fully persuaded that God has everything under control (Ps 44:5; Rom 8:29-31; Heb 13:5-6)?

3)      Calvinists can get along with others, too
By the grace of Christ, unity can thrive among those who disagree about Calvinism. For instance, most of my friends aren't five pointers.  I work with many, presumably, non-five-point Calvinists. In fact, my good friend disagrees with me on some points, but it doesn't stop us from worshipping together, and evangelizing.  Calvinists tend to love doctrine. Unfortunately, Calvinists don't always translate their love for doctrine into a love for Jesus and others. Yet this is what true doctrine and discipleship, along with the Holy Spirit, are supposed to do. A professor used to point out to his class, that although Calvinists believe in total depravity, they seemed to be the last ones willing to admit that they could be wrong. Guilty as charged! In fact, who are the most difficult people you know, Calvinists or Armenians? It probably depends on who you hang out with. Every group has people who double as sandpaper. Nonetheless, as Calvinists we should get along better with those who disagree with our beloved doctrine.

4)      Knowledge should guide our theology not ignorance
One of my problems with some modern SBC people is that they raise their eyebrows at Calvinism, while basing their objections on caricatures of it.  Some think that full (five-point) Calvinism means hyper (non-evangelistic) Calvinism. Those who equate the two are simply misinformed. One can hold to a five-point system without qualifying as a hyper Calvinist. As a missionary, the only way I become a hyper Calvinist is when I drink coffee and a Coke on the same day. All parties in the discussion should represent other views accurately.

5)      Non-five-point Calvinists should not fear us
Since the SBC has a rich heritage of Calvinism, others should not fear its resurgence. The Lord has used many Calvinists to spread his glory throughout the world. Therefore, SBC Calvinists should not hide in a closet like it's something immoral. I'm glad a place exists for us at the table within some Southern Baptist seminaries, especially at Southern Baptist Theological Seminary and Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary. But Southern Baptists would do well to study church history along with their Bibles before rejecting Calvinism outright. Even if they finally disagree with Calvinism, they can still extend a hand of unity to Calvinists.

6)      John 3:16 doesn't settle the debate
Some non Calvinists quote John 3:16 as though it ends all discussion on full Calvinism. As a Calvinist, I also quote John 3:16 and feel no discontinuity in my theology. I don't contend, as some Calvinists, that God doesn't love the whole world. He does. Whosoever believes in Jesus will have everlasting life. I believe, however, that the "whosoever" of John 3:16 includes only the elect.

7)      All believers should evangelize and participate in missions
Why spread the gospel? Good news was meant to be shared. Too often as SBC people, we talk about the importance of spreading the gospel without talking about the gospel. Jesus died on the cross and rose again to redeem all who would call on him in faith. The greatest gift God can give is Himself. He seeks the greatest good for the elect by bringing more attention--that is, glory--to Himself. He deserves exaltation because he is man's best good. In fact, he is man's only hope of goodness (Ps 16:2).

The thought of spreading his glory keeps me going as a SBC Calvinist and as an IMB employee (Ps 96:3; Acts 20:24). I pray that more people join me in this adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment