Saturday, February 25, 2012

Why I worship

The most popular treatise on love in the Bible is found in 1 Corinthians 13:4-8a which reads,

 "Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; love is not arrogant or rude. Love does not insist on its own way; love is not irritable or resentful; love does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends." 

1 John 4:16 tells us that God is love, therefore anytime we read the word "love" in 1 Corinthians 13:4-8a we can substitute "love" for "Jesus". Let's try it:

"Jesus is patient and kind; Jesus does not envy or boast; Jesus is not arrogant or rude. Jesus does not insist on his own way; Jesus is not irritable or resentful; Jesus does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Jesus bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Jesus never ends." 

Now let us read the verses one more time but instead of reading love or Jesus let us put our name in the place of love...how far did you get before you started puking? You see we are not, but He is. We are not patient, but He is. We are not kind, but He is. We envy, He does not. We boast, He does not. We are arrogant, He is not. We are rude, He is not. We could go on through the list, but I believe I have made my point. This is the reason why I worship. I worship because I am not, but He is! Please join me in worshiping our God through this song...

No comments:

Post a Comment