Thursday, October 4, 2012

Lessons Learned: Season of Goodbyes


Julia and I have found ourselves in a season of goodbyes. As many of you know we are moving to Africa for the next two years, therefore, we have been traveling the country saying goodbye. We have been saying good-bye to co-workers, employers, mentors, friends and family since June. This has not been a fun season; however, we have learned several lessons in regards to saying good-bye.

1) Goodbyes are difficult: God has blessed us with phenomenal relationships during our life. Individuals have poured into our lives to make us who we are today and it is very sad to have to say good-bye. One of most difficult goodbyes I have had to do so far was saying goodbye to my brother. I said goodbye to my brother during my sister’s wedding celebration. I realized half-way through the party that when I left it would be the last time I would see my brother for two years. I became very angry and short with everyone. (Needless, to say I don’t handle my emotions very well). Instead of staying and enjoying the celebration I became irritated and ready to hurry up and get the goodbye over with. Our goodbye lasted a sum total of 30 seconds, there was so much more I desired to say to my brother, however, I couldn't find the words. I quickly learned an important lesson; goodbyes aren't fun.

2) Goodbyes are awkward: Without fail every time we say goodbye to someone our goodbye is the most awkward time. Everyone stands around fighting back the tears, attempting to think of something deep and profound to say yet, nothing ever comes. I can remember saying goodbye to my sister in the living room of my parent’s house late at night. My sister was attempting not to cry, I was attempting not to cry. We both hugged, she said that she loved me; I mumbled half under my breath that I loved her as well, and turned and walked away. Once again there was so much more I desired to say, yet I couldn't find the words. I quickly learned another important lesson; goodbyes are awkward.

3) Goodbyes are hard: This season has been one of the hardest seasons of our lives. God has blessed Julia and I with a number of amazing people and it hurt to have to say goodbyes. It hurt to leave our small group in Wake Forest. It hurt to say goodbye to my grandparents realizing they might not be alive in two years. It broke our heart to say goodbye to our families. Goodbyes are hard and that’s OK. The fact that goodbyes have been hard is a sign of the deep and meaningful relationship we have formed with our family and friends. Our family and friends have poured into us and God has used them to mold and shape us. I can remember standing in a living room surrounded by my best friends from college and their wives as they prayed over us. While they were praying, I remembered staying up late in the dorm room and talking about theology and missions. I couldn't help but realize that all we had dreamed and discussed years prior in the dorm room was coming true. God had blessed me with Godly friends and I knew they would be praying for us while we were in Africa. I quickly learned another important lesson; goodbyes are hard and that’s OK.

4) Goodbyes are difficult, awkward and hard because God has made us for relationships: Everyone has been created in the image of God, one aspect of being created in the image of God is a desire for relationships. In other words, when God created each of us in our mother’s womb, He created us for relationships. We partially fulfill our desire for relationships with family and friends; however, we fully fulfill this desire when we are in a relationship with God. The Mamprusi people of Northern Ghana are looking for a relationship with God. The Mamprusi attempt to fulfill their desire for relationship with God through spirit and ancestor worship, unfortunately, their desire has not been filled. God is the ONLY one who is able to fulfill their desire. The Mamprusi do not know God nor do they know how to have a relationship with Him, therefore, Julia and I are enduring hard, awkward and difficult goodbyes in order to travel overseas and share with the Mamprusi about God. We are saying goodbye to family and friends here in America in order to travel overseas, live among the Mamprusi people, create new relationships, new friendships, new family members in order to share with them about God. God has created all of us for a relationship with Himself, and until the whole world hears we must continue to endure difficult, awkward and hard goodbyes in order to introduce people to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment