Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The mountains melt like wax before the LORD, before the Lord of all the earth. -Psalm 97:5
I will never forget a conversation I had with a flute player in India. My translator and I were walking along the banks of the Ganges River when in the distance I heard the beautiful sound of a flute being played. As we neared the noise, I noticed a man with flutes on his back and one in his mouth, he was playing a beautiful melody and looked strangely like the pide piper. He attempted to sell me one, "attempted" is not exactly the best word, more like he pestered me again and again and again and again, to buy a flute. Eventually he gave up, however, he did want to talk with the American, I agreed and we bought Chai Tea from a small stand on the banks of the Ganges River, (Indian Starbucks). During the course of our conversation he told me about his god, he said, "My god is Hanuman, and he is the strongest of all of the gods. He has multiple wives, and can take any woman he wishes to be his wife. He will live as long as men speak about him." I then went on to explain about my God, how he "spoke" the world into existence, His love for the world which resulted in Him sending His one and only Son, Jesus Christ. The flute player liked my god, though, he thought he was too weak and should have completely destroyed the Earth, Himself. I wish I had thought of Psalm 97:5 at the time, but I did not. If I could go back in time I would describe God to him using this verse.

The mountains melt like wax before the LORD, before the Lord of all the earth.
The Psalmist is constantly using pictures from nature in order to describe the LORD. The reason I believe he does this is because our language or our words about God are too weak. For example, God's omniscience, omnipotentence, omnipresence, sovereignty, etc, sound good, however, our finite human minds have a hard time picturing a God who is everywhere at the same time. However, imagine for a moment, mountains melting like wax before the LORD.




  • Mount Everest; 29,029 feet above sea level; melting like wax before the LORD
  • K2; 28,251 feet above sea level; melting like wax before the LORD
  • Mount Mitchell; 7,000 feet above sea level; melting like wax before the LORD
  • Peaks of Otter; 2,961 feet above sea level; melting like wax before the LORD
  • Liberty Mountain; 600 feet above sea level; melting like wax before the LORD

Psalm 24 asks an important question, "Who is this King of glory?" If you will allow me exegetical license, it may be appropriate to close with this same question but worded a little different, "Who is this King of glory who makes mountains melt in His presence?"

No comments:

Post a Comment