Friday, April 14, 2017

I Love Listening To K-Love:

I love listening to K-Love. I know shocking... a Pastor likes to listen to Christian music. Don't get me wrong I still like listening to 93.1 The Wolf (country) or 100.3 Kiss FM (pop) but I always find myself switching the station back to K-Love. Below are ten reasons why:

10) Because It's A Gift:

Our great God has given us so much. He has given us His Son so we can be saved, He blesses us, provides for us, walks with us through tragedy and so much more. 1 Timothy 6:17 says that we are to "fix our hope... on God, who richly supplies us with all things to enjoy." Christian music is one of those wonderful things God has given us to enjoy.

9) Because It Connects Me To Other Believers:

The Holy Spirit makes us one body in Christ and Christian music helps me feel connected to other believers. Listening to K-Love in the morning, I can be encouraged through the positive story of the day or listen to other people call in and talk about how God is moving in their lives. God is on the move and hearing other Christian's stories helps to connect me to them and encourage me that God is not dead but roaring like a lion.

8) Because It's A Preview of Heaven:

When we read the Bible, especially in the book of Revelation, what do we see people doing around the throne of God in heaven? We see them singing praises to God. Christian music here gives us an idea of part of what we will spend eternity doing, praising God in His presence in heaven. How exciting is that?

7) Because I Love To Sing:

Don't read I can sing. No I can't sing but it doesn't mean I don't like to belt out praises to God in my car. I shudder to think what the people next to me at the stop light think about my impromptu worship session. God put it in each of us to worship Him. While every act of our lives can and should be an act of worship to God it's wonderful to have songs to sing that help me express my worship to Him. So many artists, even if they aren't worship leaders per se still give us songs that allow us to enter God's presence and worship.

6) Because My Kids Can Listen To It:

When driving Piper and Bryant around I don't have to worry about them hearing bad language or having their world view changed. Piper has begun to sing along with a few of the songs. There is nothing sweeter than to hear her sing God Is On the Move or mumble under her breath some of the songs. I want my kids to listen to music that will have a positive message.

5) Because It Inspires:

In some of the darkest times of my life God has used a song to help pull me back out of it. Somehting like "How He Loves" from David Crowder or some other great song that brings me closer to Jesus. We often need inspiration or encouragement and God often uses music to do that.

4) Because It's Evangelical:

So much of the music that we have in the Christian world shares the truth of the gospel of Jesus Christ. How many people have come to know Jesus through the message of a song, or being invited to a concert, or hearing it on the radio? What an amazing avenue of sharing the good news with people.

3) Because It's Biblical:

Think about the book of Psalms, an entire book of the Bible that was originally set to music. Then we have passages like Colossians 3:16, "Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God." Music is part of the Christian life and how wonderful for us to have it.

2) Because It's Good:

Within the world of Christian music we have everything from instrumental hymns to great hip-hop and rap with worship music or all styles and rock and roll in between. There is such a diverse pool of talent and available music from so many amazing artists that why wouldn't I love Christian music.

1) Because It Glorifies God:

We live in a world saturated with music and so much of it is filled with negative messages that are the opposite of who God is and what He has given us. The other day I was driving into work and the DJ on a non-Christian radio station was talking about her sex life. I'm not sure why she was sharing intimate details on the radio but I remember thinking, "why am I listening to this? why am I filling my mind with such garbage? Does this honor Christ?" K-Love seeks to do the exact opposite. K-Love seeks to provide God glorifying lyrics and a message that is both positive and encouraging.

Now if you will excuse me I'm going to go listen to K-Love

No comments:

Post a Comment