Sunday, September 27, 2015

Bad Dad:

Hello, my name is T Elliott Welch and I am a bad dad. I am. It feels good to get that off my chest.

I fail miserably as a father. I lose my temper at my daughter. I've been known to yell and I think there is a plastic golf putter which no longer is straight because in my anger I slammed it down. I not only lose my temper but the other day in the mall I forgot to buckle my daughter's stroller and she about face planted in the middle of the mall reaching for a pretzel. At times I pay more attention to my phone than I do my own kid in fact one day I was paying attention to my phone (in my defense it was probably something very important like a funny Youtube video or something) and while I was paying attention to my phone Piper was attempting to climb off the couch and she fell off smacking her head on the flood. I don't think there was a bruise ;) Just kidding I know there wasn't, I checked because I didn't want Julia to see and yell at me.

 I'm a bad dad because I use her cuteness in pictures to get more likes and followers. To be honest I used her picture for this blog because I knew it would get more visits and clicks if I used her picture instead of my own. I feed her things I'm not suppose to at youth events i.e. Doritos, Krispy Kreme doughnuts, Dairy-O hot dogs/ice cream and I think she has even had a very small amount of Pumpkin Spice latte from Starbucks. My daughter is addicted to Taylor Swift and One Republic. It's so bad that a children's song will come on in a store and she will not move but if T. Swift comes in she throws her hands up and begins to dance.  I'm a bad dad.

I am a bad dad. I admit it but you know what? The other day Piper and I were sneaking out of the house to get ice cream (listening to our girl T. Swift) and while I was driving I caught a glimpse of her in the rear view mirror looking out the window and I was overcome with love for her. I'm not talking about simple love but an overwhelming since of love for her which wells up from the depth of my soul. A love which desires to give her the moon if she asked. A love which will cause me to do anything to provide for her and spend time with her. I love her and there's nothing she can do or will do to change that. I realize that times will be tough but I know that my love for her will only deepen and increase as she ages. I may get mad at times and yell but at the end of the day I love her. Every little annoying piece of her (admit it you find your kid annoying at times as well).

I realize I'm not perfect and have made and will continue to make a lot of mistakes but in the end I love her and I think, just maybe, love and expressing that love in words and actions is all I need to be a good dad. 

3 comments: